Skip to main content

Building a Workspace/Building a Dream

     I had been working from my kitchen for way too long. The decision was made to find or build a dedicated space where I could work on my photography. Less distraction equals more productivity. I knew that building a space would be better for me, so...

...I decided where this new space would be going in the back yard.
I also made the decision on the best size for my needs. The size chosen was a 10 x 16 basic back yard shed. I had read several articles about people with limited space doing this same thing. I would consider myself a DIYer and I would be finishing the space myself, and at my own pace to fit my needs and budget. 
     I found a local dealer and spoke to them about my plans and idea for the work space. With some minor alterations like door location and window heights, it was perfect. I placed my order, and I could not have been more thrilled about the decision. Within 5 weeks it was delivered and placed in the spot in the back yard.
     I knew that I wanted it to look like an unfinished space. I really like the industrial look of urban lofts. No smooth walls and no paint of a particular color. I just didn't want a lot of decorating to be done. I like the look of raw wood and unpainted areas. It makes me think that it is a work in progress, and this is how I see myself. But, I also wanted a functioning area where I could down load, review, and process photos. This new space would serve as a creative area for me.  
     The decision was made to use OSB in the space for the finished walls. I also decided to use only a standard rug for the floors. The only things I  truly needed were power, insulation, and a roof that would not leak. This building would be perfect, just a lot of work.
     First things first... I needed power to the building. Winter was quickly falling on me and I knew I wanted to have some heat in there while I was trying to insulate and put the walls up. After several quotes, I decided on a local guy, who ended up doing a great job for me. I told him that I wanted the power run under ground so there would be no exposed wires. He also gave me the option of saving some money by digging my own trench. 5 days later it was done. I had power to the building and the hard work was about to begin. 


     I made a trip to the local Home Depot, and placed an order for the insulation, OSB, lighting, supplies for steps, and paneling for my white board. I also got to buy a table saw. Did I mention that I like tools?

     Now, the real labor began. I had to get the insulation fitted and stapled up. I also had to get the walls cut properly, fitted and screwed on. I used 10 to 15 pounds of screws just for the walls.


After a week of dealing with the walls and vaulted ceiling, it was time to get the steps in so I could walk into my new space with out the need of concrete blocks.
     What would the space be without an AC/Heating unit, this too was purchased from Home Depot. After I installed the unit, I decided to improve the lighting in the space. I decided on a pair of tract lights so I could control where my light would hit. I also made the decision to build a small work bench for the framing of my pieces. 

     With the additions of these extras, I bought a rug and was ready to move in. Knowing I had to be connected to the World Wide Web, I chose to go wireless. This eliminated the need for someone to come out and run another line. So I purchased a long-range wireless router.
     I'm typing this blog post from my new workspace(photos to be posted soon). I've been in it now for the past 4 months. The only thing that I've done is caulk the joints in the floor to make more of an air tight seal. 
     This was a valuable investment and I am seeing immediate benefits from it. No distractions from house hold demands and I find myself getting lost in the creative process
     Lessons learned from this project. Measure twice and cut once. Make sure your measurements are right the first time. It will save you money, and just take your time. I would recommend this to any avid weekend do it yourselfer. A very doable project for the person who needs some extra space. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Addicted to taking photographs

     I wonder if I am the only person that must take photos on a regular basis. If there is a day that I don't hit the shutter on a camera, any camera, I just don't feel like my day is done. I love it. I am addicted to it. It calls my name. It's like a drug. It is my passion.      So I find myself carrying my Nikon D3 around with me all the time. Given the size of this unit, not an easy thing to do for the past 3 years. My friends have given the camera a nickname… “Precious”. They know that she comes before a lot of other things, and she is very important to my sanity.      Precious and I have been through a lot. We get out on a regular basis and explore. I can hardly tell she is on my back when we are out there away from civilization. That is, until I get back home and my backs stiff from carrying the extra weight.      She and I work like a team, and she is a great partner. The photos that we bring back are incredible. They are like the blue prints of w

Planning to Shoot

    Ever wonder how your favorite photographers capture those magical moments? Those shots were planned days, weeks, months, and in some cases years in advance. In may instances a photographer will keep a journal of conditions or times to revisit certain locations.      For me I plan my shots out to the next season. In the Spring, when I go to a particular location, I try to imagine what the Summer, Fall, and Winter scene will look like from that spot. I write it down and set reminders in a calendar a week or two in advance, to revisit that area. And, depending on the weather conditions this may even be a year or two away. Have you ever anticipated the bright colors of Fall to only wake up to a heavy rain fall? The leaves disappear almost over night.       Below are a couple of shots that it took me some time to get just the way I wanted them. From the type of light to the amount of water flowing over the waterfall. I by no means am calling these shots great but, I know that th

Entering My First Photography Contest

     Entering a Photography Contest was a hard thing for me to do. This meant I would be going head to head with other photographers to see whose final photo would be the judged, "The Best".      I found out quickly that doing this is more about the experience, than the win.  It gave me the chance to appreciate different photography styles and techniques.  After seeing the winning photo, I felt quite honored knowing that I was judged at the same level.  I like to  study the winning shot to find out why it won and captured the judges eye.       The above shot was my first entry into a contest. It didn't make much of an impression on the judges. Looking back, I see a lot of things I could have done better-- under exposed wrong angle for that time of day should have had less sky dust specs on the actual waterfall burn out on the top of the waterfall     ...and the list could go on for some time.       The point is, it made me revisit what I wa